To add money to your Venmo account, you need to have a Venmo Mastercard Debit Card, which you can apply for in the app. If you have the card, you can follow these steps to add money from a verified bank account or a linked debit card:
- Open the Venmo app and tap the “Me” tab on the far right
- Make sure you’re in the wallet section (not transactions) and select “Manage Balance” in the top right corner
- Tap “Add Money” and enter the amount you want to transfer
- Choose the funding source you want to use and tap “Next”
- Review the transfer information and estimated arrival date, and then tap “Add Money”
Once you do this, there is no way to cancel your transfer, so make sure you enter the correct amount and funding source. The transfer may take 3-5 business days to complete if you use a bank account, or it may be instant if you use a debit card. You can check the status of your transfer in your personal transactions feed under the Me tab.
You can use your Venmo balance to make payments to other Venmo users or to merchants that accept Venmo. You can also use your Venmo Mastercard Debit Card to make purchases anywhere Mastercard is accepted. You don’t need to have money in your Venmo balance to make payments, as Venmo will automatically draw funds from your linked funding source if your balance is insufficient.